Saturday, August 28, 2004

Golden Arches, eh?

I'm exceptionally hard to feed.

I can only eat very bland food, and the only vegetable I eat is potatoes. This makes fast food places, like McDonald's, perfect for me.

I remember my first few weeks at the University of Kent in Canterbury, living off plain loaves of bread, and bowls of breakfast cereal. I found the campus food was not to my liking.

One day, walking through the city center, I glanced at a trash bin and noticed a Filet-O-Fish wrapper. I did a double take... I couldn't believe my luck! I immediately set out exploring the city searching for the McDonald's that I new must be nearby.

Soon, I was eating McDonald's Chicken McNuggets 3-5 times a week. I had to walk more than a mile each way, so it wasn't too unhealthy.

Twenty years later and on the other side of the Atlantic, I can still occasionally be found at the golden arches. Just a few weeks ago, I was thinking about my college days, wondering how I could have eaten so many McDonald's meals each week. These days, one dose of McDonald's cures me of any desire for the stuff for weeks. It just doesn't taste good to me anymore.

Well, when I visited Toronto earlier this month, I ate at the McDonald's at Eaton Center. Wow! It tasted great! The McNuggets tasted like...chicken! The fries were really tasty, too.

The next day, I revisited the same McDonald's. Again, I was in heaven! I even resolved to go back the next day, though I never got the chance. I had my answer. I could eat McDonald's up to 5 times a week because it tasted really good in the old days.

So, what's the difference between Toronto McDonald's and U.S. McDonald's? Nuggets and fries, specifically.

A word of advice to McDonald's. I don't go to McDonald's for healthy eats. No one does. I go there because the food tastes great, or at least, it used to. If you can make the food low fat, vegetarian fare, that's fine. But if you have to sacrifice taste, forget it. I'll have my high-cholesterol, tasty fries, please.

And don't get me started on the fried pies.

No comments: