Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Back to the future

This is a partial list of cool stuff that seems to have gone out of fashion. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

#1: Digital Watches
Yes, I still think that digital watches are a really neat idea. Listen, people used analogue clock faces because they couldn't make digital ones!

I can see that it might be difficult to make a digital watch look really, really expensive, and this might be a problem for some people. But not for me. I never even understood the point of wearing jewelry. For some reason, all the digital watches I see are pimped out like Nike Air sneakers. What's with that?

#2: The De Lorean DMC-12
From what I've read, the De Lorean DMC-12 wasn't a great buy. The vehicles were notoriously unreliable. However, they had gull-wing doors. I want gull-wing doors. I would pay thousands extra for gull-wing doors. Give me gull-wing doors!

I want a head-up display, too. [Note: There's no such thing as a "heads-up" display unless you're Zaphod Beeblebrox]. I bought my current car because it has a head-up display, but I want my next car to have one that projects more data on the windshield.

#3: Velcro Shoes
Why did these go out of fashion? I suppose some people just slip their shoes on and off, bypassing the laces anyway. For those of you who want snug fitting shoes without the naval manoeuvres, try these.

#4: Fried Apple Pies
Believe it or not, I don't go to McDonalds for health reasons. I rarely go at all these days, except when I'm in Toronto. One reason is that McDonalds no longer carries fried apple pies. Maybe they thought "fried bad, baked good." Maybe they didn't want to get sued. The filling in McDonalds fried pies can melt Titanium. Anyway, there are only a handful of places you can go to buy them these days. Here's a list of fried pie oases.

On a related note, Pepperidge Farm Apple Squares were also fantastic. We theorize that the apple squares are no longer available because in the future, I invent a time machine, go back in time, and obtain all of the apple squares from the past.

Fortunately, fried pies are making a comeback - you'll find variants of them at KFC and Taco Bell.

3 comments:

Robin Zebrowski said...

You are bound to enjoy this:

http://www.mobilepcmag.com/features/2005_03/top100gadgets.html

thepoemster said...

I noticed they stopped fry-o-lating the pies and I thought that was a beat. Tisk tisk. Same thing when they stopped making the cherry pies they used to carry. Now they give you two for one for either the fact they don't sell that well or they are putting something in them that is addictive and are waiting for it to kick in.

I like the popcorn chicken though and will check out the fried pies there next time I'm in the city. Thanks for the tip,Doc.

Doctor Logic said...

Robin: Yeah! #7. The U.S. Robotics Pilot 1000. Still have mine. 128K of RAM!

Poemster: Around here they charge more for a 6-piece Chicken Nuggets than they do for the 10-piece. I think that should tell me something.

BTW, those KFC fried pies have so much cinnamon on the outside that they're almost spicy hot. Worth sampling.