Saturday, February 05, 2005

Benefits of Blogging

I started this blog because I wanted to get into the habit of writing. A few months ago, I realized that I hadn't written anything for public consumption in a long time. Not only was I in danger of forgetting how to write, but I had also accumulated a lot of things to write about.

For me, blogging is like mental calisthenics. I have to reason through my posts in detail, and I have to get my facts and references correct. Quite simply, I just wouldn't be thinking as clearly without being forced to write down my ideas. There have even been a few occasions when I had to abort a posting because my original thesis was either wrong or weakly supported by evidence.

Lastly, I'm much more intellectually engaged than I was before I started blogging. It's not just that I spend more time thinking about philosophy and politics, I'm also more motivated to participate in online and offline forums.

So, thank you, dear readers. Reading your comments, indeed, just knowing you're out there, has made a big difference in my life.

And, if you haven't already started your own blog, I highly recommend it!

No comments: