Friday, August 26, 2005

Absolute Morality

I usually dispute the claim that God can define an absolute morality. If I happened to be the supreme being, would my will define morality? If the Devil were the one, true God, should we all do what he says? I don't see how might makes right. Doing what God wants might be rewarding, but the same could be said of doing the bidding of a tyrannical dictator. Aren't we humans the exclusive judge of morality?

Today, while commenting on a blog, I was able to come up with a way in which God (or any other supreme being in a given domain) could be the absolute arbiter of morality.

You see, at some point, God could rewrite our brain structures so we agree with him, and in that sense we are not independent of God. We are just God's bionic components. His Knock'em Sock'em robots, if you will. God convincing us all that ignorance is a virtue (or that stoning people to death for adultery is good), is no different from me calming the butterflies in my stomach. No different from my taking Advil to dull some pain. Human lives don't matter in this picture. In such a picture, there is just one being, and that being always judges itself to be good.

Wow. Religion is more creepy and revolting than even I imagined. And that's saying something.

Next question. Are the butterflies in my stomach morally bound to subdue themselves?

4 comments:

Randall said...

For the sake of scientific clarity, I feel I should point out that the proper term is "God's Rock'em Sock'em™ Robots" (trademark Mattel). ;-)

Doctor Logic said...

I stand corrected!

Robin Zebrowski said...

I used to love to teach the divine command theory to my students, and demand that they answer the ancient question out of Plato, "is something moral because god loves it, or does god love it because it's moral?" And what are the implications of each?

I could pretty much sit back and play gameboy while they all worked that out!

Randall said...

What God really loves is a good Philly Cheese Steak.