Sunday, September 04, 2005

Tweaked Meaning

I wish to update my definition of meaning again. Here goes.

If P has meaning, then we can find P1 and P2 such that

P => P1, where P1 is distinct from P

and

P => ~P2, where P2 is distinct from both ~P and ~P1.

I was shown by my colleage, leibniz, that my previous definition was plagued by the possibility that P1 was a function of P, and that did very bad things.

This revised definition says that for P to have meaning, P must be verifiable and falsifiable. My previous arguments show that, if P is meaningful, then P must be either mathematical or empirical.

2 comments:

Suburban Turmoil said...

Uh. Please pardon me while my brain explodes.

Doctor Logic said...

Sorry about that, Lucinda. I messed up again. It must actually be the case that...

If P has meaning, then we can find P1 and P2 such that

P if and only if P1, where P1 is distinct from P

and

P if and only if ~P2, where P2 is distinct from both ~P and ~P1.

It is a bit embarrassing to have to correct my own logic twice in two days. I shall re-double my efforts!